My objectives for the Neustadt:
- expansion of the Königs bridge
realization of the grammar school site at Dresden-Neustadt
The Dresdner Neustadt is far bigger as one would assume. Which city districts is part of it, its historical background and its current significance will be presented in the following paragraphs.
If one talks about the Neustadt in Dresden, then one generally speaks of the area between Albertplatz, Königsbrücker street, Alaunpark, Prießnitz street and Bautzner street. This generally outlines the outer area of the Neustadt. If one explicitly speaks of the entire area of Neustadt, then the area around the Haupt street and Königs street is included.
The Dresden Neustadt however extends further. The new partitioning underlines the outstanding stance, which the Neustadt prides itself with since the last 10 years as a district in Dresden. A district with a vivid history and tradition, but also a district which stands as a contrast in the shadow of its baroque neighbour – the Dresden Altstadt.
The Dresden Neustadt encompasses, besides the central inner and outer Neustadt, also the Albertstadt in the north and the Radeberger Vorstadt to the east.
The outer Neustadt has during its development carried many names. During the middle ages it was simply known as “the Sand”. This term originated during the 30 year war when the district was devastated and the quicksand of the Heide blew into the area. During industrialization the name ‘Antonstadt’ was created. The current Jordan- and Timaeusstraße date back to that time. Between these streets the business people Jordan and Timaeus erected a chocolate factory in 1823.
With over 40,000 inhabitants, the Antonstadt reached the peak of its population in 1910. The district was shaped by workers, employees, civil servants and tradesmen as already more than 100 bars existed. 1991 the core of the outer Neustadt was declared as a redevelopment area and since then 80% of the structures were restored. The Neustädter take pride in the successful restoration of the back court-yards. Not only the artistic court yard, but also several little customized back court-yards make the outer Neustadt a popular destination for a glass of wine and invite you for a comfortable talk in a pleasant vibe.
The second central city district of the Dresdner Neustadt is the inner Neustadt. On its territory between the 13th and 14th century, a small Slavic village developed into a self sufficient parish. This parish was granted the status of a city in 1403 and was called ‘Old Dresden’. Festivities proceeded on the occasion of the 600 year anniversary of carrying the status of a city between 14th and 21st December 2003.
Today the Neustadt as a government district has acquired an important role. Nonetheless one is also reminded of the Neustadt by the restoration of the Königs street, the Haupt street with the Goldener Reiter and also the discussion of various other construction projects.
To the north of the core territory of the Neustadt the Albertstadt borders the districts borders. It was named after the Saxon King Albert (1873-1902) and laid out as a garrison city. According to present day city planning and building plans the use of the military district will be limited to the infantry officers academy, whilst restructuring and revitalization of the district are aspired.
The area of the Radeberger Vorstadt remained undeveloped until the middle of the 19th century. Only after 1860 was the Prussian district constructed upon. It was named like that because it was the preferred living district for high military officials. Today the Waldschlösschen brewery particularly with its beautiful scenery and view over the Elbwiesen is a magnet for visitors and locals.
The Neustadt is a multilayered and interesting both in its historical development and in its importance today. Some associate the Neustadt with the Goldenen Reiter and the government district, others the Bunte Republik Neustadt. The electoral district is however, as mentioned above, far more than the inner and outer Neustadt.