My objectives for the Altstadt:
The creation of public green spaces at Postplatz
Construction of the Operette and the TJG (Theatre of the young generation) in the ‘Kraftwerk Mitte’
The old city layout has, since its construction, been nearly identical with its boundaries of the present day inner Altstadt. In 1485, when the albertinischen Wettiner (Royal House of Saxony) appointed the city to their permanent residence, it experienced a crucial surge of development. The house of the Wettiner substantially influenced the history of the city for centuries.
The commencement of the reconstruction of the former castle in the 15th century, proceeded until the 16th century with a remarkable attachment to the castle. The armoury (now the Albertinum) and the stable (now the Johanneum) were constructed. With the demolition of the medieval city walls for a more modern fortification of the city, began one of many important expansions of the city.
Since the ascension to power of the Elector of Saxony August the 1st (1670-1733), also known as ‘August the Strong’, the fate of the city has been determined by the aristocracy and nobility. The Taschenberg Palais and Zwinger were built. The Augustus bridge was extended and the Frauenkirche (Church of our Lady), a baroque masterpiece of European rank, was erected in the heart of the city by the evangelical Dresdner’s.
The decline of the Napoleonic era signalled the beginning of the bourgeoisie-civil society in Dresden. The worthless fortifications of the city were deconstructed. Public squares replaced the city gates.
During the bombing of Dresden in 1945 the entire inner city was destroyed, together with the valuable cultural sites. Reconstruction of the city lasts until today.
During the GDR (German Democratic Republic), historical sites such as the Semper opera, the Zwinger and the Augustus bridge were re-constructed. The Frauenkirche however, remained in ruins as a memorial. At the Altmarkt, the Kulturpalais was erected in the classical-socialist style.
After reunification the Altstadt became the centre of political activity in Dresden and Saxony. Up until now, the Dresdner city council in the town hall and the Saxon state parliament are located within this city district.
In August 2002 many parts of the Altstadt were affected by massive floods, also known as the ‘flood of the century’. Like in many other districts the streets and buildings had to be repaired.
Due to the support of numerous donations from all over the world, the Dresdners in 2005 were able to celebrate the consecration of the newly rebuilt Frauenkirche. It remains until today a symbol of reconciliation.
In the last few years several buildings at the Neumarkt were rebuilt in the old baroque style. As you were once able to pass through the Neumarkt, it has now become a residential area.
One of the largest shopping spaces in Dresden has been created on the Prager street. The Construction of the Centrum Gallerie is currently under way. The Altmarkt is host to the historical Striezelmarkt every year and soon the renovation of the Kulturpalast will begin.