My objectives for Johannstadt:
Integration of disabled persons in the job market and participation in the day to day life
Intergenerational composition of the living environment
The area of the Johannstadt is divided into the districts of Johannstadt North & South and correlates to the mead of the town Ranvolitz first mentioned in 1310. Ziegelschlag and Rampischer Schlag was considered to be the transition between city limits and the countryside. They exist until the middle of the 19th century.
In 1858 the city parcelled the land. 1876 the Johannstadt was declared purely as a living district. The construction of the Albertbrücke 1875/88 increased the building activity of representative residential quarters around the Sachsenplatz, at the Sachsenallee and at the Terassenufer.
Amidst the street of houses numerous big squares with elevated-cornered buildings were designed. The Holbeinplatz, the Dürerplatz (both destroyed 1945) and the Fürstenplatz (Fetscherplatz) with the Artushof were created. The Bönischplatz with the industrial age and art nouveau facades was preserved. The rentable houses were partially resided by the wealthy class and partially resided in by the working class. The rear buildings accommodated in many cases small businesses. 1894 the Trinitatis church (in the Italian renaissance style) was consecrated next to the same-named cemetery.
Medical facilities were created in 1878 when the Carolahaus was opened, a former public hospital. It compromised several clinics and vast gardens, however it fell victim to the bombing in 1945. A concrete plate factory was later created on this area. Since 1990 an industrial sector exists there. 1895/96 the hospital St. Joseph Stift was constructed. Following its complete destruction in 1945, it was completely reconstructed.
1894 the citizen hospital in Johannstadt South (since 1945 retirement home Clara Zetkin), 1903 the public womens hospital and 1898/1901 the hospital Johannstadt (now medical faculty of the technical university Dresden) were created.
Several public buildings were created such as the State Academy of Applied Arts in 1901/08, the Kupferstich-Kabinett and Central Art Library. A vocational school was created (later the Städtische Ingenieurschule, Ingenieur- hochschule, 1987 to the TU). Erlwein (architect and head of the municipal planning and building control office) built in 1907 on the Fiedlerstreet the König-Georg-Gymnasium (today part of medical faculty), in 1928 the post office and until 1935 the vocational school Gerokstraße.
During the bombing campaign Johannstadt was 90% destroyed. The area of the Vogelwiesen at the Elbwiesen was used as an unloading point for debris and the Dürerplatz was used as a facility for reprocessing debris and rubble. Following the comprehensive clean-up operation, five-story living quarters were constructed in 1957/60, the buildings of the living district in Johannstadt South, the multi-story apartments at the Ellbe and the ten-story buildings at the Straßburger platz followed soon after. During the construction phase six new schools and higher education institutions were built.